• January 26Senior Night Boys Baketball - January 27 @ 7

• January 26Senior Night Girls Basketball - January 26 @ 7

• January 26Yearbooks on sale for $70.

The Student News Site of Tarpon Springs High School.

Dockside Media

Mark Twain

Lily Burkhead

Samuel Langhorne Clemens, otherwise known as the famous author, humorist, entrepreneur, publisher, and lecturer Mark Twain was born on November 30, 1835 in Florida, Missouri and died on April 21, 1910 at age 74 in Redding, Connecticut.

When Samuel was four, he and his family moved to Hannibal, Missouri in a town off of the Mississippi river. Twain’s dad died from pneumonia when he was 11; the next year Twain left school after fifth grade to became a printer’s apprentice.

When he turned 18, he left Hannibal to work as a printer in New York City, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and Cincinnati. Samuel first used his pen name Mark Twain on February 3, 1863 when he wrote “Letter From Carson”.

Mark Twain wrote many books. His most popular one’s however are The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876) and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885).

His first success as a writer came when he wrote the humorous “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”, which was published on November 18, 1865 in the New York weekly, The Saturday Press.

Twain was offered honorary membership in Yale University’s secret society Scroll and Key in 1868. Its devotion to “fellowship, moral and literary self-improvement, and charity” suited him well.

Twain proposed to Olivia Langdon in 1868, which she rejected, but they ended up getting married in 1870. The couple lived in Buffalo, New York; he owned a stake in the Buffalo Express newspaper and worked as an editor and writer. While they were living in Buffalo, their son Langdon died of diphtheria at the age of 19 months. They had three daughters: Susy, Clara, and Jean. The couple’s marriage lasted 34 years until Olivia’s death in 1904, then in 1910 Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) died.