• January 26Senior Night Boys Baketball - January 27 @ 7

• January 26Senior Night Girls Basketball - January 26 @ 7

• January 26Yearbooks on sale for $70.

The Student News Site of Tarpon Springs High School.

Dockside Media

Spongers Swim for States

Katelyn Sadowski and Ashley Dees

This past weekend certain students on the Tarpon swim swam at states. Swim team members Adam Tapia and Eleni Lamerianos shared their comments about how they felt about the competition

Each of the swimmers did many things to prepare themselves.  Tapia said he prepared by “tapering (intensely working out, but then progressively slowing down the process), practicing laps in the pool and trying to mentally focus”. Lamerianos also told us how she prepared for a competition: “practicing laps in the pool, staying focused and eating healthy”. 

Both swimmers felt positive about some areas of the competition but not others. For example, Tapia said, “I am confident in the 200 yard free swim”. Lamerianos participated in the 100 yard breast stroke, and she said, “I’m unsure about how I feel I’ll do, but hopefully I’ll succeed”.

Even though both swimmers were sure about what they are competing for, they still felt, as Adam puts it “not overly mentally prepared.” Big competitions like this take a lot of physical strength and mental endurance.

At the Regionals swim competition on Saturday, November 5th , Tapia and Lamerianos both participated. Tapia came in 1st in the 200 yard free swim and in 3rd in the 500 yard free swim. Lamerianos placed 3rd in the 100 yard breast stroke.  

We wish Adam, Eleni and everyone on the swim team good luck. Some words of encouragement from Tapia: “We are going to kick some butt at the competition, win and bring back that medal!”  Go Spongers!